Click on box or arrow
Marriage has become better defined as a union between two people who love one another, and there is absolutely no reason why gay and lesbian spouses shouldn't enjoy the same rights as other married couples. Our constitution guarantees and protects the rights and freedoms of ALL of our citizens-- regardless of their age, race, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity. I firmly support LGBTQ rights.
As patriotic Americans, therefore, we must make efforts to ensure that our LGBTQ brothers and sisters enjoy the same rights as everyone else-- including the right to marry their partners, cover their spouses with insurance, adopt children, and visit their spouses in the emergency room. We must address school bullying and expand the definition of hate crimes to include crimes committed against individuals on account of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
As a firm supporter of LGBTQ rights, I will push to put an end to all forms of discrimination against our LGBTQ brothers and sisters. Legal protections against wage and employment discrimination must also be put in place to ensure that LGBTQ individuals can fully contribute to our economy and fully participate in building strong, tolerant, and vibrant communities.
My opponent, Mimi Walters, has done nothing for our district-- or our nation for that matter-- to help the LGBTQ community in any way. She has been in Congress and California’s Senate and Assembly for more than a decade fighting against LGBTQ rights at every opportunity. She has put her personal views above the rights our Constitution grants to everyone, including our LGBTQ brothers and sisters. Once again, she isn’t working for WE the People. Instead, she is working for her Wall Street and Billionaire Class campaign contributors. See which industries are Walters' largest contributors here!
Walters’ Voting/Support Record:
- NO on Prohibits Use of Funds for Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity (05/19/16 Bill sponsored by Maloney, D-NY; H Amdt 1079)
- NO on Prohibits Sexual Orientation Conversion Therapy (08/30/12 SB 1172)
- NO on Prohibits Discrimination Against Transgendered Individuals (08/30/11 AB 887)
- NO on Recognizing Out-of-State Same-Sex Marriages (09/09/09 SB 54)
- NO on Statement of Opposition to Proposition 8 (03/02/09 SR 7)
- NO on Property Transfer (05/05/08 SB 153)
- NO on Expanding Anti-Discrimination Laws (05/27/08 AB 2654)
- NOT standing up for WE the People
Varasteh’s Congressional Pledge:
- Married LGBTQ couples should enjoy the same rights as other married couples
- Prohibit LGBTQ marriage discrimination
- Address school bullying
- Expand hate crimes to include crimes against sexual orientation and gender identity
- Prohibit LGBTQ and gender identity wage and employment discriminations
- Standing up for WE the People
- Not for sale