The recent high unemployment/underemployment years are only the second period in our modern history – second only to the Great Depression. I refer to this period as the Great Recession. A few of the more pessimistic folks call this period the Great Depression II. Proportionally, our district has/ is suffering from record high unemployment numbers.
The so called job-creators have been enjoying some of the lowest tax rates in nearly a century. In fact, statistics indicate that the rich are getting richer and the middle-class are getting poorer. When President Reagan was faced with a smaller recession than the one we are facing now, he raised taxes on the top earners 11 times during the 8 years of his presidency. Majority of the Republicans, including Walters, have offered little to nothing to spur job growth beyond the same old canards. This must change. We must move forward on an effective and fair jobs bill such as the Budget for All bill.
My opponent, Walters, has done nothing for our district or our nation for that matter to help create more jobs; jobs that our communities, our state, and our country so badly need in this fragile stage of the Great Recession. She is not fighting for WE the People.
Walters’ Voting Record:
- NO on all jobs bills proposed
- NOT standing up for WE the People
Varasteh’s Congressional Pledge:
- Support effective and fair jobs bills such as Congressional Progressive Caucus' "Budget for All"
- WE the People must maintain our crucial infrastructure for commerce
- Reform subsidies and tax-breaks granted to large agricultural businesses
- Reform regulations that choke small and medium agricultural businesses from starting and growing
- Reform offshore tax havens laws
- Standing up for WE the People
- Not for sale