In the past few years, the middle-class are slowly sinking toward or into poverty while the uber-rich are enjoying an unprecedented surge in their income. Our nation is spending more than the taxes we are collecting. I believe that we should lower taxes on those who have suffered the most, the middle-class. And, I believe to balance this loss in revenues, we should raise taxes by a small percentage on those whose income has not suffered and in fact has increased, the high income-bracket folks.
United States has the second highest corporate tax rate in the industrialized world. This needs to change. In order for multi-national corporations to bring back some of their money to our country, we must be competitive with the rest of the world and thus we must lower this rate. At the same time, we need to re-examine the legal loopholes placed in the tax code and eliminate those no longer valuable.
During the G.W. Bush Presidency years, we were involved in two unfunded wars in the Middle East. Congress, along with the President, created an unfunded Medicare Part-D program which speeds up the bankruptcy of the Medicare program. On top of all this irresponsibility, we lowered income taxes for the very wealthy and encouraged irresponsible sub-prime loans to be approved at an alarming rate. It is insane not to think that all this would eventually come down crashing around us. And, now, here we are right in the middle of all this mess.
My opponent, Walters, has been a congresswoman and California Senator and Assemblywoman for over a decade right in the middle of all this mess and she is part of the reason we are in this mess. Walters supported YES on making the Bush tax cuts permanent (Bill sponsored by Lewis, R-KY; Bill HR 586). Walters supported YES on $99 B economic stimulus (Bill HR 3090). Walters has signed the Americans for Tax Reform "Taxpayer Protection Pledge" which protects the wealthiest of our citizens. She is not for a responsible government. She is out to bankrupt WE the People’s government.
President Ronald Reagan did lower taxes once, but he also increased taxes 11 times during his Presidency when he knew it was necessary during a recession. I agree that cuts must be made in programs no longer needed or needed less. However, some revenue increase is also in order here and Walters is being absolutely inflexible and uncompromising. As your congressman, I would be open to new ideas and willing to compromise whenever the needs of my district outweigh unnecessary gridlock. Once again, she is not working for WE the People. Instead, she is working for her Wall Street and Billionaire Class campaign contributors. See which industries are Walters' largest contributors here!
Walters’ Voting/Support Record:
- YES on making the Bush tax cuts permanent (Bill sponsored by Lewis, R-KY; Bill HR 586)
- YES on $99 B economic stimulus (Bill HR 3090)
- Signed the Americans for Tax Reform "Taxpayer Protection Pledge" which protects the wealthiest of our citizens
- NOT standing up for WE the People
Varasteh’s Congressional Pledge:
- NO income tax for everyone making $80K or less, until our economy is stabilized
- Offset this revenue loss by imposing a marginal tax rate for those making more than $240K
- At the same time we must reform tax loophole laws
- Balance the budget and reduce the deficit, each and every year, once our economy stabilizes
- Lower Corporate tax rates in order to be more competitive with the rest of the world
- Standing up for WE the People
- Not for sale